How do I fit the ThermoActive Shoulder or Knee support?
There are detailed instructions in the instructions for use document provided in each product.
For more information on using and caring for this product, please refer to the Instructions for Use for ThermoActive Knee Support, ThermoActive LEFT Shoulder Support or ThermoActive RIGHT Shoulder Support.
For more information please refer to the Shoulder Brace Video
Prior to using hot or cold therapy, are there any precautions I need to take?
Place fabric interface between the gel pack and the skin, prior to using hot or cold therapy. Possible interfaces include:
- A light towel
- A cloth
- A sheet/pillowcase(cut to size)
- 6 layers of paper towel
Either wrap the interface around the gel pack prior to attaching the gel pack to the support or hold the interface on the skin while wrapping the support around the body.
- Consult your physician before using this product.
- Only use this product for 20 minutes at a time on the affected area.
- Do not use where there is poor circulation.
- If at any time soreness, rash, or an increase in pain occurs, discontinue use and consult your physician.
- Only use this product for its intended purposes as described in the manual. Do not use this product while using transdermal drug delivery skin patches, skin creams, balms, liniments or lotions.
- Individuals using pacemakers or insulin pumps should NEVER use this product.
- Do not use during pregnancy.
- Do not use heated removable gel packs on parts of body where there is swelling, redness or immediately after injury. Cold therapy is recommended for these conditions.
- If removable gel pack has been torn, overheated or has been compromised (and is leaking) discard immediately.
- Keep out of reach of children and pets.
How do I clean the product?
- For the Removable Gel Pack: Hand wash in cold water and mild soap. Hang up to dry, or pat dry with towel.
- For the Support: Wipe the support down with a damp (not wet) cloth using mild soap. Allow the product to fully air dry before continuing use.
Caution: Clean the removable gel pack and support separately.
For cold therapy, how long should ThermoActive shoulder and knee be kept in the fridge or freezer?
Store for a minimum of 1 hour in a freezer or 2-3 hours in a refrigerator. May use an ice-cooler if you place the removable gel pack within a plastic bag to keep it dry. Ideal to lay the removable gel pack flat while cooling , but will work folded in half as well. It may be left in the freezer indefinitely until ready for use. The pack will remain flexible even at-20 degrees Fahrenheit. Note: We suggest storing the removable gel pack on a plastic bag while in freezer for better hygiene.
For Intermittent Compression, keep inflated for 2-3 minutes and then deflate compressor for 1 minute. Repeat this process for a total of 20 minutes. Do not exceed 20 minutes of therapy time. Intermittent Compression should be used for post surgical therapy.
For heat therapy, how should the pack be heated?
*Do not apply gel pack directly to the skin. Use a towel, cloth or a sheet as an interface between the removable gel pack and the skin.
Before heating in a microwave unit, removable gel pack must be at room temperature. Place gel pack with black hook (rough) side down into the microwave on a paper towel, and heat for 15 seconds on one side, then flip over and heat for an additional 15 seconds on the other side. Use caution as the removable gel pack may be hot.
- After heating, wait one (1) minute before applying to the joint. The product should feel WARM to the touch, NOT HOT. If the product is not warm enough, heat in10 second increments, while rotating the product each time until desired temperature is reached. Some microwave ovens heat unevenly and can develop “hotspots” on the product and become too hot. Before applying the product to the skin, massage the gel pack to evenly disperse the heated gel inside. NOTE: Smaller gel packs may take less time to heat than large removable gel packs.
- This instruction is based on a 1300 WATT microwave. All microwaves vary in power wattage and heating times may vary. Be cautious and adjust time accordingly. DO NOT OVERHEAT.
- Always use caution when heating.
- Due to the nature of the gel, it may only feel warm to the touch, but if the product has been overheated, too much heat may be transferred to the body and can cause burns.
- When microwaving, make certain that the removable gel pack is laying flat without any objects on top of it.